Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Recumbent Bike Compared
- What is a Recumbent Bike?
- Top 5 Recumbent Bike Reviews
- 1. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME- 709 – Best Recumbent Bike for the Money
- 2. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike – Best Recumbent Bike
- 3. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike – Best Rated Recumbent Bike
- 4. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike – Best Recumbent Bike for Home Use
- 5. NordicTrack Commercial Vr21 Recumbent Bike – Best Commercial Recumbent Exercise Bike
- How to Choose the Best Recumbent Bike – Features to Consider before Buying a Recumbent Bike
- Recumbent vs Upright Exercise Bike
- How to Use a Recumbent Bike?
- Recumbent Bike Benefits
- Final Verdict
While you won’t see a lot of recumbent road bikes out in the streets, there are tons of them in gyms and fitness clubs. They’re deemed as some of the best machines for warm-ups as they can ease your body into a physical activity without straining your body right away. These make them excellent options for workouts. So if you’re thinking of getting a stationary bike, the best recumbent bikes from our list are worth looking into. And to help make a case for this equipment, here’s a comprehensive guide that can convince you that recumbents can be the perfect pick for you.
Top 5 Best Recumbent Bike Compared
Not all recumbent bikes are made equal. This is why I’ve made sure to only highlight the best ones to showcase what these exercise machines have to offer. There are still quite a few to choose from, though.
So to help you narrow down your choices to the last one, here’s a quick comparison of the five of my best recumbent exercise bikes picks.
What is a Recumbent Bike?
To help you decide whether a recumbent bike is for you, it’s important to get to know what exactly this equipment is first. So, what is a recumbent bike?
Simply put, a recumbent bike is a bicycle with a laid-back, reclining seat. You don’t have to sit on a triangle with these bikes, making them more comfortable and ergonomic. Its design helps distribute your weight evenly which can help you avoid straining your body too much.
Recumbent exercise bikes are also relatively more stable than other kinds of stationary bikes. They may be clunkier and even have a larger footprint, but they won’t easily tip to the side. This makes them safer for lots of people to use, especially those with certain physical limitations and conditions.
But what really makes them very notable is the fact that they will allow you to multitask. As you’ll still be comfortably and nicely seated while using this equipment, you can still do something else while you workout.
Recumbent bikes can offer you a whole new experience. It can be an exciting new way to ride and exercise. It might not look like it, but it can also offer some intense workouts on many occasions. If you want to get to know them better, you can read more here.
Top 5 Recumbent Bike Reviews
Ready to shop around for the best exercise bike? Here are a few recumbent bike reviews that you shouldn’t miss:
1. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME- 709 – Best Recumbent Bike for the Money
You might be thinking, if only there’s a product that’s both loaded with great features and affordable all at the same time, you’ll already find the best exercise bike. Well, you’re in luck as the Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME- 709 is just that.
While it is very affordable, it’s still a full recumbent bike. This means that it can still offer the same comfort and workout as the other items on the list. It also has a step-through design like its more expensive counterparts, so it can also be the best exercise bike for all fitness levels and ages.
What might take some people by surprise is its adjustable length. This makes it usable for people of different heights and leg measurements. So if you plan to share it with your spouse or housemate, you can do so without a hitch. Not a lot of affordable units have this feature, so this makes it a great plus.
Another unexpected feature for this Marcy recumbent exercise bike is its high weight capacity. It can carry up to 300 lbs without flinching, so it can be a good choice for lots of users. Whatever its intended purpose may be, the generous weight limit makes it a suitable pick for many.
This recumbent also comes with a padded seat, making it more comfortable and luxurious. If you plan to sweat it out on this bike, though, it’s faux leather surface can get a bit sticky and slippery.
As for the unit’s sturdiness, you don’t have to worry. Marcy is an established budget brand for exercise equipment, so you can find lots of recumbent bike reviews that commend their products. This can guarantee durability and quality, offering you really great value for your money.
It will only have 8 resistance levels and the basic information about your workout, though. But if you don’t really need an intense workout, these options will already be enough. It can already meet the needs of seniors and those recovering from injuries.
- 8 resistance levels
- Step-through design
- Counterbalanced pedals
- Large LCD screen
- Adjustable, padded seat
- Transport wheels
- Fantastic price
- Comes with everything you need in a recumbent bike
- Comfortable seat
- Easy to assemble
- Made by a reputable brand
- Won’t be able to provide the most intense workout
2. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike – Best Recumbent Bike
As mentioned above, recumbents are great options for senior adults who want to stay in good shape by exercising. Because these items won’t stress their joints, they’re great options to get grandma’s heart elevated without risking a fall.
If this is the purpose of your search, a good option for the best recumbent bike for seniors would be the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike (MY17). This electronic stationary bike has a lot to offer, starting from its well-equipped console.
Aside from having 25 resistance levels, it also has 29 fitness programs that will let you choose how you want your workout to be like. Selecting your settings is also very easy as each button is dedicated and clearly labeled. These make the controls pretty self-explanatory. So even if you’re not exactly tech-savvy, you will still be able to find a way to operate this unit.
Recumbent bike reviews for this product also appreciate that it’s easy to get in and out of this unit. Elders won’t have to struggle lifting one foot and balancing themselves just to hop in and out of this exercise machine, thanks to its step-thru design.
Its wide base is also noteworthy. This makes it more stable and safe for older people to use.
- Dual-track, 2 backlit LCD screen system
- 29 fitness programs
- 4 user profiles
- 25 computer-controlled resistance settings
- Bluetooth connectivity, USB charging port, built-in speakers, adjustable 3-speed fan
- Adjustable seat
- 300-lb weight capacity
- Technologically-advanced console
- Comes with a media shelf
- Clearly-labeled, dedicated console buttons
- Easy to assemble
- Comfortable seat can accommodate wider users
- Ventilated backrest
- 10-year frame warranty
- Safe and easy to get in and out
- Built-in speakers and fan won’t steal the show
- Media shelf can block the main display
3. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike – Best Rated Recumbent Bike
Not ready to shell out a decent amount of money on an exercise bike? The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike is a good option. The performance is top notch regarding the price. So you’re pretty much guaranteed that it can be a great budget pick for you.
Combining an affordable price tag with a solid set of features, it can also provide a good workout. You have to manage your expectations, however. As it’s not as heavy duty as the first three items in this list, it wouldn’t share the exact same specifications. With its 8 resistance levels and an adjustable seat, it can still be a good low-priced alternative.
The best thing about this exercise equipment is it’s folding design. This makes it a good choice for small-space dwellers as well.
- Semi-recumbent design with a foldable frame
- 8 resistance levels
- Large LCD display
- Large and adjustable seat
- 3-piece crank system
- Compact and space-saving design
- Comes with transport wheels that makes it more portable and easy to move around
- Very simple interface
- Great price
- 300-lb weight capacity
- Extremely simple interface might not suit a serious fitness buff’s needs
- Might be too short for tall users
- Semi-recumbent design might not be comfortable for everyone
4. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike – Best Recumbent Bike for Home Use
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike is a mid-range option from one of the most popular name-brands in the industry. What makes it a big hit is the fact that it has almost every key feature its more expensive counterparts have. But as it is more affordable, it’s certainly a more attractive option for many.
Like the Schwinn 270, this unit also has two LCD displays for dual-tracking and a digital console. They also have the same sturdy construction and 300-lb weight capacity.
The main differences between the two are the 230’s lack of Bluetooth connectivity, screen backlighting, and the heart rate chest strap monitor. While convenient, lots of people can do away with such features, so it shouldn’t be a huge problem.
What the 230 has that the 270 doesn’t is a slimmer frame. This makes it more suitable for lots of homes, thus earning the aforementioned title.
- Dual-track, 2 LCD screen system
- 20 resistance levels
- 22 preset exercise programs, 2 profiles
- Built-in speakers and fan, media shelf
- USB charging port
- Slimmer and more affordable than the Schwinn 270
- 300-lb weight capacity
- Sturdy frame
- Easy to use
- Easy to get in and out of
- Slider seat rail system lets you adjust the distance between the seat and pedals
- Not for very tall or long-legged users
- Plastic seat can be a bit uncomfortable for some
5. NordicTrack Commercial Vr21 Recumbent Bike – Best Commercial Recumbent Exercise Bike
Want to take a shortcut in finding the best commercial recumbent exercise bike on the market today? Opting for a commercial-grade unit might do the trick. They’re guaranteed to be able to withstand heavy use, so you can be sure that they will be sturdier than the average home-use exercise machine.
Lots of recumbent bike reviews point towards the NordicTrack Commercial Vr21 Recumbent Bike as the best commercial recumbent exercise bike on the market today. Its weight capacity of 350 lbs alone promises a step up from the other items in this list. Combined with 32 programmed workout apps and 25 digital resistance levels, it can certainly a cut above most residential-use units.
Aside from its major features, its small details can also make an impact. It has several convenient features like transport wheels, a media shelf, and a water bottle holder. It also has an AutoBreeze Workout Fan that self-adjusts to boost your comfort while you workout.
- 25 digital resistance levels, 32 preset workout programs
- 5” backlit display
- 23-lb effective flywheel
- Lumbar supported seat
- iFit Coach compatible
- Transport wheels, water bottle holder, and media shelf
- AutoBreeze Workout Fan
- High weight capacity of 350 lbs
- Extra-wide pedals with straps and ventilated backrest promise great comfort
- Equipped with convenient features
- Self-adjusting fan offers smart climate control responds to your workout intensity
- Can be moved from one spot to another with the help of its transport wheels
- Adjustable seat height makes it suitable for people of different heights
- Pricey lifetime warranty for the frame
- Paid subscription required to save your exercise information
How to Choose the Best Recumbent Bike – Features to Consider before Buying a Recumbent Bike
Ready to give the recumbents a spot in your home gym? Then keep these things in mind to make sure that you’ll end up with the best recumbent stationary bike available.
A good exercise equipment will always be well constructed. So make sure to look for a unit that won’t easily fall apart.
Keep in mind that you will be sitting and exerting an effort on a recumbent bike, so it’s a must that it can handle your weight. Most units list their weight capacity, so use those as a guide whether a product will be safe for you to use or not.
The recumbent bike is also a safe bike. This makes them suitable for folks of all fitness levels and seniors. Aside from not buckling under your weight, the best recumbents also have a few other safety features like a low clearance and step-through design.
Ease of Use
To be a great recumbent bike, it should be easy to use. A unit with complicated design and controls can end up worthless if no one can actually use it.
Recumbents are already deemed comfortable by default thanks to the design of their seats. However, it doesn’t really end there. It should also have the right measurements so you can comfortably workout on it. The distance between the pedal and the seat should be ideal so you can properly use the pedals.
A few extra features also wouldn’t hurt as long as they don’t make the operation of your exercise machine cumbersome. Some of the most common additions to recumbents include media shelves, built-in fans and speakers, charging ports,
Recumbent bikes come in a very wide price range, so you have lots of choices. However, just like other exercise machines, going for the higher-end recumbents are very highly recommended. They guarantee higher quality and better performance. So if you’re willing to invest in your exercise equipment, consider doing so with the recumbent bike.
What others are saying about the item you’re eyeing can help you weigh your options better. So make sure to read the recumbent bike reviews to get to know more about the products you wish to get.
Recumbent vs Upright Exercise Bike
The first hurdle that you’ll come across with when looking for the right exercise bike for you is in choosing between the different styles of stationary bikes. The recumbent vs. upright exercise bike debate has been raging for a few decades now which is both a good and bad thing.
It’s good because the two offer ample options for shoppers. It also highlights the differences between the two so you can weigh your options better. It’s bad because it can get even more overwhelming for some.
Which one is better? It’s really up to you to decide. To help you out, I’ve listed down some of the best recumbent exercise bikes’ major differences that are worth considering:
- They’re more ergonomically designed than upright bikes. You won’t be forced to crouch and contort your body to use the recumbent bike. This very feature makes it a good warm-up machine. It can get your blood pumping without tiring you out or putting you at risk of pulling a muscle.
- They’re more Comfortable to use. Their spacious seats are more comfortable to settle in.
- They can support your body better. Your weight will be nicely distributed to your upper thighs and buttocks so you’ll feel even more comfortable when moving your legs. This design also prevents your lower back from getting strained.
- It’s suitable for all fitness levels. Buffs and beginners alike can get a good workout from a recumbent. Even the elderly can find these machines ideal for their needs and requirements.
- It’s easier on the joints. Cycling and spinning on an upright bike can take a toll on your joints because you can put a lot of your weight in them. This isn’t the case with the best recumbent cycling bike as these things can distribute your weight evenly on the machine.
- They’re relatively safer to use. You don’t have to worry about falling off the machine because it’s low on the ground. They’re also quite clunky so they won’t easily tip to the side.
- You can multitask while exercising on a recumbent bike. Because you’re seated comfortably, you can also read a book, watch a show, or even lift some weights at the same time.
While upright bikes also have their own advantages over recumbents, it’s safe to say that the latter is a better option for a wider range of users. This makes them a good choice for most home gyms. Read more about the difference between these two types of exercise bikes here.
How to Use a Recumbent Bike?
If you’ve never tried one before, you might want to learn how to use a recumbent bike. It’s actually literally as easy as riding a bike or even easier on some occasions. You just really need to sit on the bike, place your feet on the pedals, and start moving your legs.
The tricky part of learning to ride the recumbent bike is in operating its console. Keep in mind that exercise bikes have to replicate the challenges most road bikes experience to give you a good workout. This is why you have to know how to tweak its settings to diversify your workouts and always keep yourself challenged.
Reading your unit’s manual is also a good way to know how to use a recumbent bike. It will hold all of the technical details you need to know about your unit, so make sure to read it.
Because of its simplicity, learning how you can use a recumbent bike is quite simple. But if you want to read more about it, you can also click here.
Recumbent Bike Benefits
To really convince you that this type of exercise bike is a good option for a home exercise equipment, here are a few recumbent bike benefits that you can enjoy:
a) Recumbent Bike for Weight Loss and Management
Being an exercise equipment, it’s easy to expect that you can use a recumbent bike for your weight loss and management efforts. Despite not having the same design as regular upright road bikes, they are more than capable of providing a good exercise. They may not offer the most intense workouts, but they can still help burn a good amount of calories.
b) Recumbent Bike for Cardio
Need to get your heart rate up to keep your body in top shape but can’t risk an injury? The recumbent bike is a low-impact cross training equipment that can get the job done. You can use a recumbent bike for cardio and ensure that you’ll get to exercise without the fear or pulling a muscle or a bone fracture.
These machines are made to get your heart rate up with varying resistance levels to replicate different terrains. But as they won’t put too much weight and pressure on your joints, they’re safer to use.
The comfortable sitting position also makes it a great warm up machine. You won’t have to strain your lower back muscles with the recumbent bike so it can be a safe and effective way to kick off your workouts.
c) Recumbent Bike for Seniors
Seniors have numerous mobility limitations but it shouldn’t stop them from getting in better shape. Most of these are circumvented by the recumbent bikes, though. How? Here are three recumbent bike benefits that prove why it’s a good pick for seniors who want to get some exercise:
- Mounting ease. You won’t struggle climbing into these machines. As they’re low on the ground and have spaces where you can easily step through, you can quickly position yourself in these bikes to get started.
- Safe use. As these machines will let you sit low on the ground, you don’t have to worry about falls. You also don’t have to worry about tipping to the side as the units are very stable and balanced.
- Low-impact. Thanks to its reclining seat, you won’t have to carry your weight while moving on a recumbent bike. They won’t stress your joint which make them low impact alternatives to upright bikes.
d) Recumbent Bike for Strengthening Leg Muscles
Another recumbent bike benefit is its ability to keep your leg muscles in good condition without straining your joints. These machines are recommended for those who are recovering from lower body injuries and need to put some strength back in their step.
e) Recumbent Bike for Training Variety
Lots of experts say that variety is essential for a good and effective workout plan. The recumbent bike can let you a whole new different workout method to your home gym with their different attack on leg muscle training.
f) Recumbent Bike for Sustained Movements
Experts recommend sustaining constant movements if you really want to stay healthy and maintain a healthy weight. This is why most wearable fitness trackers today encourage you to keep moving about. Doing so will help your body burn more calories and prevent a sedentary lifestyle.
Because of the machine’s design, you can use them to keep yourself moving while you enjoy some downtime at home. By having one of these machines at home, you can easily opt to do a light workout while watching the TV or catching up on some readings.
With their wide range of uses, comfort, and flexibility, the recumbent bike can really be a great addition to any home gym. Whatever your fitness goals may be, they can prove themselves useful to have around. It’s just a matter of choosing the right unit to suit your needs and preferences. I hope this article will help you to choose the best recumbent bike according to your needs.
Hopefully, my recumbent bike reviews get to narrow down your options and even help you meet your match. All of these five picks are carefully chosen based on their merits and good user feedback, so you can count on their quality and performance. Of course, the choice is still yours in the end. Rest assured, however, that you can count on these recumbent bike reviews to help you find the right product for you.